Mission Statement

It is my desire that I will not only grow myself, but that I might inspire others to take a step toward their own personal growth.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

An Inventory/Grocery Shopping Adventure

Awhile back, I attempted to change some details as far as how the URL for this blog was going to work.  I can safely say that it failed miserably; and for a while I even forgot if my domain name was still registered!  This morning I finally gave in and decided to see if I could fix what I screwed up, and Voila! I have things back the way I had them set up originally.

Now, if you head to http://erintotten.com you will end up here (on the homepage I'm sure) again through the magic that is url forwarding.  I'm not ready to try that whole mess where I remove the "forwarding" part, and redirecting isn't needed.




Yesterday I decided it was time to try and figure out which of the dozens of inventory, shopping, and list apps would help us here the most.  So, step one is what you ask?  Well, step one was to download about 5 or 6 that looked promising! If you have your own favorite app that is both free and worthy of handling the TARDIS that is my pantry and refridgerator; let me know quickly so I can test it out for our personal usability.

The apps I've got so far:

  1. GroceryHero by Lifestyle
  2. NoMaggot by Fourmob
  3. Grocery Tracker by easicorp
  4. VisualHome by ZHOD001
  5. List Ease by InMarket
  6. Out of Milk by Capigami, Inc
(Note!!  I do also have Evernote, Keep, Polaris Office on my phone; But unless one of those will let me scan barcodes into a database without having to write any code it won't work for my purposes at the moment)

Qualities I'm looking for in an Inventory/Grocery application

  1. Barcode scanning for item ID and maybe amounts as well
  2. A product barcode database that includes our local grocery stores (Aldi, Wegmans, Tops, Surefine (maybe))
  3. User-friendly interface (I learn quickly, but it should be easy enough that my husband and kids can use it just as easily)
  4. Pictures are good, but not required.
  5. Must be able to find out what we're low on, and out of
  6. Awesome if it integrated with a recipe application (included in app or external) and could auto-list stuff that is needed but not in the inventory (expired/all gone/low even)
  7. SHARING!!!  I need to be able to send/share our shopping list to my husband, and if it isn't SUPER easy; he won't use it. (I know from experience)
I reserve the right to add more applications to this starter list, as well as the right to ammend my "demand list"  I want to note however, that should I make any changes, I will update!  Also; looking to see if whoever is reading would prefer the same sort of (jumbled mess) as I produced when looking at note-taking applications for the Note 2 (my s-pen is the BEST), or if perhaps I should instead review each seperately and maybe make graphics too...  
Regardless, if I get no input, I post what I want!

No comments:

Post a Comment