Mission Statement

It is my desire that I will not only grow myself, but that I might inspire others to take a step toward their own personal growth.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Chromecast

Last night; I sent +Joe Totten to Big Flats after work (in Rochester) to pick up a Chromecast from the nearest Best Buy store.  It added an extra two hours to his drive time, but he did it.  He then came home and set it up (upsetting because I missed that part).

Based on what I was told by my other half about set up, what I have witnessed for myself, and what I have seen others saying so far; this is Definitely worth the $35 price tag.  Very simple set-up; you plug it into the back of the TV, and there is minimal set up after that. Chromecast has awesome Wi-Fi connectivity (I value this especially because the Wi-Fi our router provides is constantly disappointing with EVERY other device in our home), Not even once did it need to stop and buffer once we got our router to play nice (I did say it was crappy Wi-Fi right?).

A note of contention has come up in relation to restrictions on the API; however I find myself in a position where I am able to understand this to at least some extent, and others seem to have an optomistic view as well, in this case, it's Gabe Stein of fastcolabs.com .  Another slight upset was the fear that we wouldn't be able to stream personal content through it, but this concern has been assuaged by Kellex over at Droid-life.com.

As we only bought it yesterday; it's likely that I will have more insight into this amazingly affordable and small device, but for now I'm giving it the "Tottenmom Stamp of Approval".

NOTE We have been able to use the usb port on the back of our tv to power the chromecast also making it self contained essentially. 

No comments:

Post a Comment